Editor, the Gauntlet,
Re: "Not quite censorship," May 27, 2004,
At the University of Alberta at least, the webboard has done wonders by:
1. Getting new people involved in student politics;
2. Getting information about Students' Union events out;
3. Making elected officials accountable for their opinions;
4. Facilitating interinstitutional opinion sharing without even spending thousands on conferences);
5. Helping students get answers to academic and student life questions;
6. Building community among people who need to work together in the SU; and
7. Making student councilors much more informed about issues on which they make decisions.
I suspect there have been more benefits, I'm just too lazy to think about them. Leave the forums up.